Wednesday, April 30, 2008

African Adventures

Now that Anna is up to visit, I have decided I can justify taking a bit of a break and doing some fun touristy things around SA. Anna drove up in her Mini from Cape Town and is visiting here for a week, after which we are driving back together and I am staying with her for a week. Monday and Tuesday we went up north and stayed at a "bush camp" (see below) over night. It was not exactly luxury accomodation (couldn't get hot water in the morning) but it was warm, safe and very, very cheap! Also, as a benefit of being in a less industrialized country, here, when you go out away from the city it is actually possible to see stars! I have finally learned to find the southern cross (I think) and Orion plays peek-a-boo over the horizon, so I can identify a few. A southern hemisphere astronomy book would be a welcome present though! On Monday we went to Sun City, which is sort of a combination between a Hilton and Las Vegas - it's a luxury resort with a focus on gambling. We had a great time walking around and taking it all in. The photo below was taken during our tour of the Lost City Hotel (yes, that's right, they have tours of their hotels). It was seriously impressive, but also would cost a South African an arm and a leg to stay there!The next day we took Mini on a game drive through Pilanesberg. This is our best game park within a comfortable days drive, so if anyone comes to visit, this is where we will be going! Mini got seriously dirty as there was a huge amount of dust floating through the air. Even the inside of the car got covered. I am pretty sure this was not too good for our lungs, but it was definitely worth it.
We saw a lot of the big animals - lions and elephants both crossed in front of our car (slightly nerve wracking) and there were some very cool giraffes, zebra, and baboon sightings as well. We stayed until dark at the game park and then Anna drove us back to Jo'burg. I am working the next 3 days so no further exciting adventures will occur until Sunday. Next week you can expect news from Cape Town!


No comments: