Friday, February 19, 2010

Why Living in the Southern Hemisphere is Wierd

Ok, so today I was browsing my home page on Facebook and saw yet another status from one of my friends that had to do with the Olympics. Until now I'd been basically ignoring all winter sport comments, but this one implied that she was going to be watching them this weekend.

Wait a minute, I thought, something is wrong with this idea - there aren't any olympics on right now. I've been watching the news, surely I would know about that! WRONG! I googled "winter olympics" and, lo and behold, indeed there are winter olympics going on in the good city of Vancouver. Winter? Wait, isn't it summer now? Oh, not in the norther hemisphere... HOW DID I MISS THIS??

According to the NBC Olympic website, "South Africa has appeared in five Olympic Winter Games and has never won a medal," and "South Africa is not expected to contend for a medal in Vancouver." After further research (it took a distressingly long time to ferret out this info) I've discovered that South Africa has only 2 athletes who made it to the games, both in Skiing events. Small wonder we've had no news coverage here. However, don't people here like to watch the other countries compete? I know that in the last summer Olympics we watched pretty much the whole thing!

My final resolution is that I either need to start paying for DSTV or move back to the North!! I can't miss all of the possible luge disasters!

No comments: