Thursday, January 19, 2012

Another New Beginning


Well, January has been off to a bumpy start! The first 3 days saw me blitzing the flat and finally managing to get it clean and organised down to the kitchen drawers. Endorphins were running high and life was looking up. Then on day 5 the slump started. Half the house, including me, got sick (including what seems to be a plague of boils!), management acted up, and I decided 2012 was going to be nightmarish. 2 weeks later, we've finally plateaued again, and hopefully I'll be able to keep my mildly-hopeful outlook for a few months this time!


My last day shifts are finished for the month, and after a run of horrible children, we managed to end on a good note. We had a practice "school day" in these photos - with a full 40 minutes of singing (!), "exercises" and our bible story, followed by an 90 minutes of playing with no whining (miracle of miracles!) outside and a picnic snack. I've also found out that "Bokke" will sit through Barney without whining, and sometimes fall asleep (we've been fighting over that for the last week), so we made it safely to lunch.


We had planned to go 'swimming' in our inflatable pool after naps, but an afternoon rainstorm changed our plans. So, we made our first ever blanket fort between the couches (the kids thought I'd gone crazy when I started moving furniture) and read stories and then sat there to watch a movie. Chipmunk kept trying to climb across the "roof" of the fort, so we ended up having to take it down, but we found lots of other fun blanket games to play. We had "nap-time" on the couch, turned into a child-eating monster, and ran around with a LONG cape.



Let's hope our real "school days" go this well! We start on Monday and I've been busy converting the volunteer room into our classroom. - More on that tomorrow!

No comments: