Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pentecost

This week in school we've been learning about Pentecost. I'd picked the lesson simply because it actually was Pentecost last Sunday, and planned all of our activities before I realised that none of our children's bibles tell the story! So, the kids had their first experience in using their imaginations and listening ears to understand our story, instead of pictures. They did pretty good though, and, 3 days in, can tell ME the story!

 
For our baking craft this week I found the idea for super cute "tongues of fire" cupcakes. Since Pentecost is close enough to being a birthday celebration for the Spirit, we decided they were very appropriate. We'd gotten a whole bunch of semi-fraught bananas from Woolies this week, so we decided on Banana Cinnamon cupcakes. The girls had a great time squishing the bananas and mixing the batter and a not-so-great time waiting for them to bake!

Once they'd cooled off a little we set to decorating. I was very impressed - this was the first time that everyone actually managed to get most of the decorations ON the cupcakes, instead of in their mouths.  The strawberry slice is supposed to be a tongue, and the kids loved getting to use both wind and fire  (blowing out the candles) to demonstrate the Holy Spirit.
We've also started learning our first memory verse this week, "I am with you always" Matthew 28:19-20. Mommy is very impressed that she can actually remember the reference! Both the girls are doing pretty well with it, although they keep wanting to say "LET MY PEOPLE GO!". Apparently Moses was a big hit! It has been fun trying to teach them about the Spirit this week, and we have prayed every day that Jesus will send his Spirit to live in our hearts, so that we can love him when we are big!

No comments: