Friday, June 18, 2010

Our New House, part 2

My Flat

This is part two of a series on our beautiful new house. The property was donated to us by ABSA bank and a series of donations and sponsors saw us through to completion of the building project in April of this year. As you can see in the previous post, we had a long ways to go! However, now that it is complete, it is a wonderful place to live. The photo above shows the entrance to my flat. The entrance gate to the property is on the other side of the wall on the left and the kitchen of the main house is opposite my door. The tables and chairs were donated (so on warm days I can have friends over for lunch) and I bought the heart-wreath with Tiffany at the Peach Festival earlier this year.

Below is my bedroom. I was very worried about this teal colour on the walls originally but Tiffany and Sue found this bedspread for me among some donations and it works alright. The room is significantly larger than we had believed it would be. It is hard to imagine furniture in a bare brick room. It is just the right size for all of my furniture, including the new desk I was given by some American missionaries just before I left. I am hoping to find a thin keyboard to go at the foot of my bed.
And the other side of the bedroom...
Adding a personal touch to the room. Mom bought me this wall hanging in Montana and it matches my colour scheme perfectly!

This is the kitchen. Thanks to Denise for the kitchen table and small appliances! Now I don't have to sit on the steps to eat. :-) My fish are also temporarily at home on the counter. I am trying to find a second tank and then this orange one will go into the lounge in the main house.
Kitchen angle 2... lots of cupboard space!

The one thing that never got finished on the flat were the shower doors. We had a sponsor for them who fell through and we were unable to find someone else. So, below is the solution Tiffany came up with. I think she was pretty innovative! It actually worked surprisingly well. However, my showerhead is in the middle of the shower, rather than on one side, so I needed to go a little more high tech for my bathroom.
This is my bathroom with my actual curtain rod and beach pebbles shower curtain (thanks Anna!). It is SO nice not having to share a bathroom!! There is more than enough space for all of my things and I don't have to stress about waking anyone up if I need to get up early and shower.
Coming soon.... the Baby Home.....

1 comment:

Britt Elise said...

It's looking good Kate! I want to come and see for myself! Hope you're doing good! I was wondering, how is Thsepo doing? What is happening with him? Who get's to keep him?
I'm sure you feel a little robbed by the ref in the match yesterday :)
Britt!