Friday, March 28, 2008

Well, I am safely arrived at the baby home. I have my own room, which is wonderful, and it is so much fun to see all of the kids again! I have worked 2 day shifts so far and am on for 2 nights starting tomorrow. Unfortunately, there is no internet at the home, so I will have to find the best place to get on-line and make it there as often as I can. Next week I am planning to post a “day in the life” at the home so you can understand better what exactly I am doing, but for now I will give you some photos of my kids and entertain you with stories of my driving!
Here it is very uncommon to have automatic cars, so I have to re-teach myself how to drive a manual, and it is also very hilly, so my handbrake and I will be fast friends once more. However, it is a relatively straight shot between here and the nearest mall, which has pretty much everything you could need, so my typical lack of direction shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience. What will be interesting though is being on the “wrong” side of the road again after having driven daily in America for the last 7 months. The previous times I have been here have been when I was accustomed to British driving, so hopefully I will be able to stay on the correct side of the road.
There is a ministry car which all of the volunteers are entitled to use. At the moment there are two Norwegian girls (above) who are also here and who use the car most days. As I really don’t go out much, I don’t think it will be a problem for us, but if it is I have budgeted car money into my savings, so I can always go ahead and buy one if need be. The girls are going away for the next 10 days though and I will have the car to myself, so I am planning on forcing myself to drive so that I will get my confidence back.
If this does, in fact, get posted (I am writing in my bed at the baby home) it will mean that I have at least made it to the mall/internet café without getting myself killed, which should be a pretty good sign!
(The next day) I made it to the internet cafe and only turned onto the wrong side of the road once! Manual cars are still not my favorites, but I am trying to think positively. I did manage to get a cell phone (the motivation for me leaving the house) and am very happy that I can now get in touch with the rest of the world again.

No comments: