Saturday, January 15, 2011

"Sun City" prison

The mom of one of my kids is in this "Centre of Excellence". I thought those of you who have heard me talk about going to visit might enjoy the following videos, showing what it looks like where we visit and also inside. Very little is provided for the prisoners and this mom gets very little support from her own family. We are often the only ones she has visiting for months, and the few things I bring with help her get through the months. This is my take on "I was in prison and you visited me". Have to say though, that it is not my favorite thing. The women's section is not as bad, but this prison has a terrible reputation for the abuse that goes on inside, and having met some of the guards, I can believe it is true. They are always very nice to me (a white lady looking after a stranger's black child seems to win some points) but they will openly admit to beating the prisoners, even when they believed I was a social worker! All in all, I will be trying to stay out of a South African jail.

Video of a poetry session that was held at "mom's" prison. You can see the gate where we go in and what it looks like from the outside.


Video of the inside of the prison out into the yard

No comments: